7/21/13 Sheila Gautreaux, L.U.T.
The Shepherd and the Sheep
Writing the 23rd psalm, King David recognized that the Lord (metaphysically “Divine Law”) protects us and leads us when we follow. By Divine Law, we “lie down in green pastures” (we are provided with abundance) and we are restored by the “still waters” (calmed, reborn with a new consciousness). We are led in righteousness–right thinking, thinking from the heart, a place of non-separation, oneness, according to the name (nature) of who we truly are.
As the sheep are led through the valley, wolves and other predators cast shadows down upon the path as they watch the sheep from the hilltops. The shepherd uses the rod as a weapon and the staff to prod or to pull the sheep to safety. So too we can take comfort with the protection and guidance of Divine Law, as light destroys shadow.
Even in the presence of our “enemies” (our fearful thinking) our table is prepared with good things and our “cup” is overflowing. There’s more than enough! We are forgiven even before we ask, because our Shepherd never held anything against us in the first place! As oil prevents destructive parasites from getting inside the sheep’s head, Divine Law protects us from self destructive thinking.
“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life” where “follow” actually means “pursue”. We are already in heaven and don’t even know it, because we haven’t been even a little willing to be led by Divine Law! You are in the house of the Lord, right here, right now. You don’t have to wait for it.
So how do we follow our Shepherd?
1. Ask for Guidance. We have free will so Divine Law waits for us to ask. Then ask for a sign that you will understand, that you see that Divine Law is real, so that you can.
2. Follow with Trust.
3. Stay on the Path. Do not take your eye off the Shepherd.
4. Look for the Signs. Expect to see them. When we expect, we get.
5. See Only the Good. It’s not easy, so practice, practice, practice! How you see it is how you will experience it. Be willing to see the perfection in it.
6. Forgive Everything. Don’t condone the action, but forgive the person. Otherwise you will carry it around with you.
7. Live Daily in a Consciousness of Heaven Now. “I am in heaven.”
Affirm: “I am guided and protected by the ever-present Love and Wisdom of Divine Mind.”